SABC News, Friday, 17 December 2004.

Nine killed in Eastern Cape botched circumcisions

December 17, 2004, 15:00

Nine Eastern Cape initiates have died since the beginning of the circumcision season. The latest victims are in the Port Elizabeth, Stutterheim, Mount Fletcher and Bizana areas.

Sizwe Kupelo, the provincial health spokesperson, says three of the initiates died of botched circumcision, while one was allegedly killed by his minders. Kupelo says two traditional surgeons have been arrested so far for allegedly performing illegal circumcisions.

Meanwhile, 16 initiates have been admitted to the Mthatha General Hospital and another 15 at Cecilia Makhiwane Hospital in Mdantsane near East London.

(File created 18 December 2004)